Sunday, July 31, 2011

(Week of 8/1 In Music)


MONDAY
Who: The Ravonettes
Supporting Act: Eternal Summers

Where: Maxwell's
Why: I first fell in love with The Ravonettes at our local record store when they were playing one of their older records to prepare for the release of "Raven in the Grave". My shoe-gaze/lo-fi/indiepop obsessed friend always RAVED about the Ravonettes (nark, nark, nark) but I tended to brush her obsession to the side until that one day at Luna Records....damn it she was right, they're good. Pitchfork was not a fan of their latest album calling it too "dark" but I quite enjoy their darker side because I don't listen to an artists for the same album over and over. This show should be really solid but be prepared for their cult-army to be in attendance doing strange hipster dance-like rituals (these are things I've only heard about). See ya there! 




TUESDAY

Who: Sufjan Stevens
Supporting Act: N/A
Where: Prospect Park
Why:  I would be going to this show... IF I could afford it ($42 with service charges is a bit steep for me these days) but I had the chance to see Sufjan last fall after his album Age of Adz killed digital sales. Sufjan is near and dear to me because his music was my first step into the world of indie rock when I was a mere fourteen-years-old. He has continued to deliver over the years re-defining his whispering melodies and heavy instrumentation. His live show is a seriously religious experience filled with costume changes, dance moves, and a sing-a-long of his classics at the end of the performance. Fans will walk away with an even bigger appreciation for the man  that no one knows how exactly how to pronounce his name correctly. Suff Jan? 





WEDNESDAY
Who: Big Audio Dynamite
Supporting Act: HR, Andy Rourke of the Smiths
Where: Brooklyn Bowl 
Why: Brooklyn Bowl pulls out the stops per usual. Just because it's Wednesday doesn't mean you can't jam your face off! Big Audio Dynamite was founded by The Clash's ex-guitarist and and vocalist Mick Jones in 1984. They've supported U2 and describe themselves as fusing punk-rock, reggae, hip-hop, and electronica all into one giant sound. Did I mention Andy Rourke, not the cousin of Mickey (I wish), of the Smith's is opening for B.A.D by spinning a DJ set? One word: SICK. 




THURSDAY
Who: The Empires
Supporting Act: N/A
Where: Don Pedro 
Why: They don't have any sort website. They formed in 2002 out of childhood friendship. They all grew up listening to 70s Prog-Rock and Jazz Fusion. Yes meets Frank Zappa. I'm intrigued....aren't you?






FRIDAY
Who: Ra Ra Riot 
Main Act: Delicate Steve, Buke & Glass
Where: Prospect Park 
Why: I only own a few of Ra Ra Riot's tunes but I like every single one of them...a lot. They've passed through my hometown quite a bit and I've heard through the grape vine that they put on quite the passionate performance. I have a bad feeling that this is going to be one of those shows where I could have prepared better by familiarizing myself with the artist more. But instead of experiencing feelings of regret, I will just have to open myself up to the idea of falling in love. 









SATURDAY
Who: The Beets
Supporting Act: Darlings 
Where: Shea Stadium
Why: The truth? I clicked on this link because it said "The Beets" and my eight-year-old self was hoping for information on a live show featuring the cartoon band from the Nickelodeon show Doug. Alas, it wasn't the Beets that I've grown to love but an improv band that actually seems pretty neat. "Improv" typically turns me off in the indie-rock world because most times it turns out to be pretentious musicians who play weird shit until someone drops the curtain on them...woof. The Beets however, seem to have a substance or general formula for their sound which I can appreciate. I think this show will be pure fun and a great chance to really cut a rug. 








SUNDAY
Who: Friendly Fires
Supporting Act: Naked and the Famous, Cults
Where: Central Park Summer Stage
Why: 2 Buzz Bandz + 1 Indie Staple + FREE admission = one glorious Sunday afternoon. The Cults, hailing from here in New York, have caused quite a stir after their SXSW appearance and Pitchfork approved stamp on their latest single that reads "Best New Music". The Naked and the Famous have hit high fashion shopping stores near you with their hit song "Young Blood" as well as made New Zealand history being the fist NZ band to debut at number one in three years! Finally, I have NO doubt the Friendly Fires will bring it on Sunday...skinny jeans included. No need to bring your picnic blankets to this one folks, it'll be time to get up off your feet! 




KGC

No comments:

Post a Comment